Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Bergam- What? or Early Grey Creme

I am a black tea lover.

I can't help it. I think it must be an inbred thing. Though by heritage I'm a complete mutt, family coming from mostly post-WWII Austria and Italy (yes, the losing, bad side); I think there's likely a part of me from every country in Europe. And when the Europeans are not sipping coffee, it's something that could pass for coffee.

And so...Black tea it is!

Whenever I go out and have occasion to drink tea, I ignore the herbals (Rabbit trail~ have you ever heard the British pronunciation of "herbal", it's delightful, even when it's said disdainfully. The "h" is pronounced like a whispered caress), I also ignore the fruity infusions and go straight for the black tea, usually of the Orange Pekoe kind.

There is one type of black tea I've begrudgingly allowed into my circle from time to time. Earl Grey. Out of pure loyalty, I've included this bagged variety in my collection of teas over the years. It sits on my shelf, a nice addition to offer when entertaining, but I've never once enjoyed the taste myself.

Until now.

In my pursuit of purchasing loose leaf teas and exposing myself to their unique flavors, benefits and enjoyment, I came across a tea I just had to try. It's a tea by Teavana called Earl Grey Creme.

Now, there is a taste particular to Earl Grey and if you don't know it, I'd suggest purchasing a cup at any coffee shop (or better yet, come over and try mine, it'll be there a while). Earl Grey owes its signature taste to the presence of oils from the bergamot orange.

The thing is, I never warmed to it. The odd flavor of citrus with black tea never seemed to jive; that, AND for me, black tea must have a cream in it, preferably whole milk. And when was the last time you sat down to eat an orange or grapefruit with a big glass of cold milk? My point exactly.

With that in mind, why would I choose this particular tea to begin my exploration into the world of tea. Because it has been paired with Madagascar vanilla. This addition creates a wondrous creaminess without the use of dairy.  I knew it intuitively when I read its description, then later discovered the truth of it when I tasted it.

First, when you open the packet, the smell is enough to make you want to eat the dried tea leaves if you didn't know better! It has these tiny purple buds (cornflower petals) which make the tea as lovely to look at prior to steeping, as it to drinking afterwards.

 I found it's the black tea and vanilla that you taste first, then the bergamont comes out in the finish. The bergamont taste is nicely subdued, but relevant enough to add complexity to the brew. It's enough of a citrus taste to engage the buds and make you take another sip...starting the sensual process all over again!

I've found both the smell and taste fill your senses, staying with you even hours afterwards. This is what prompted me, upon my second steeping to make more than a cup and refrigerate it. I enjoy both the hot version as well as the cold. Lukewarm is a no-no, but microwaving is perfectly acceptable and didn't change the flavor that I could tell.

A delightful tidbit I discovered in my research of Earl Grey: the addition of milk to an Earl Grey in Great Britain is called a "London Fog"! Don't you just LOVE it! I tried it with cream, and due to the creamy taste it already possesses, it seemed like over-kill but a worthy experiment...I still drank it :). Sweetener is not necessarily a must, so try it first without.

I must say, there is a typical "tongue thickness" (much like you get when eating a grapefruit) after drinking nearly the whole cup which can be downplayed by a sweetener.

My conclusion?

On the broad scale of overall teas, rating one through 5, I'd give it a 5. On a specific black tea scale, I'd rate it a 4, losing a spot for the after, after taste. Bottom line: Earl Grey Creme is a truly wonderful tea I hope to keep on hand (and enjoy) for years to come.

The particulars:

Relatively inexpensive (relative to their website of specialty teas) at around $6 for 2oz which makes around 23 8oz hearty cups of tea. I like my tea rich, so for someone who likes it weaker, it would add to the amount yielded per steeping.

Suggested times to enjoy: I found it too complex for a morning tea (I like to ease into my day), so I enjoy mine in the early afternoon. (I'll make it one day hot, then enjoy the second, refrigerated, cup the next day.)

DO NOT OVER STEEP! Black tea is quite sensitive about it's time in hot water and gets bitter FAST! 2 minutes for the initial steep, 2.5 to 3 minutes for the second, at or just below boiling point (205-210 degrees F) I've enjoyed mine with couple of German Rock Sugars (doesn't alter the taste of the tea) or half a packet of Splenda.

Now that I've shared my thoughts, what is your experience with Earl? Love it? Hate it? Like the idea of vanilla added to it? Have you paired it with anything else? If you feel lead, please share!

Have a blessed day All! And remember, "God Reigns, Let the Earth rejoice!"

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Stash's Double Bergamot Earl Grey. But you'd have to like the Bergamot flavor! As a side note, I always thought Twinings decaf earl grey tasted like fruit loops. Blech. Stash was the only decent decaf version I've found, but I haven't tried the expensive kinds :) Sounds intersting with the vanilla. I'll hae to try that some time.

    ReplyDelete