Thursday, February 23, 2012

Oh, I get it...CHINA Black!

Okay, so all true tea comes from the Camellia sinensis plant.

White, Green, Oolong, Black, Pu-erh~SAME plant...SAME leaf...just different ways to process that same leaf.

Got it...

But it took me a while to understand why some of my teas said "Black" tea...and some said "China Black" {The sharpest tool in the shed, I'm not}

Then one day, I was cleaning up in the kitchen, my husband standing near by, and in a flash of genius, the whole thing seemed to fall into place...The tea packages are denoting where the tea comes from!!!

~~~I must say, eye rolling does not become you.~~~

If it doesn't say China...it's likely a blended black from either or India, China or Kenya. If it says "China Black" its a quality tea, not so much for blending purposes, but for the actual taste and experience of it.

For example, English Breakfast and Earl Greys tea are often a blend of Indian black teas from Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) or Assam in West Bengal. These black teas, prosaically called "Ceylon" and "Assam", are not usually brewed alone. At least that how it appears to me.

However, given my current preoccupation with all things "tea" and  for the sake of knowing what each taste like, I JUMPED at the opportunity to try these two teas from Rebecca's Natural Food Store in Charlottesville. I took the loose leaf teas home with me and waited for the right time in which to DUE each.

I can now attest for sure...they are for blending.

They are the Aristarchus to the New Testament's Paul. A backbone to many wonderful blends, but never intended to take center stage.

My China Blacks were however meant for the lime-light...and therefore will be the centerpiece of my next post when I will also explore the appropriate focus for an afternoon tea tasting...with a six year old child. To Be Continued...

1 comment: