Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Old Long! Old Long!

My daughter talks in her sleep...My first realization that I've taken loose leaf tea beyond enjoyment into passion territory was when my daughter called out in a forceful way, "Old Long! Old Long!"

I asked her about it the next morning and she said, "Oh, I was trying to say 'Oolong, Oolong'."

Hmmm. Might have to tone it down a bit...

That said, I feel like I've begun a courtship with Oolong teas.

This scenario is played out in many a movie. The young and beautiful (okay, I'm neither anymore, but indulge me :) lass is courted by all, even a wizened older gentleman, past his prime (he's of course only 30ish!)

The foolish girl pokes fun behind his back and tolerates his presence in front of others, but all know it's merely a facade of politeness. Until one day, he's there at just the right moment, and she's there, perhaps sad or lost, but most definitely venerable.

He takes her hand, his eyes kind, his stance patiently forgiving...understanding even. And because she'd never before met such a person of open acceptance and sincere warmth, she catches a glimpse, a vision, of a life she'd only heard whispered of by the elderly...innocently displayed by children.

When I first tasted Oolong tea, I thought it the worst purchase EVER! Who would willingly ingest that! I don't care that it says it aids in weight loss! UGH!

Two weeks later...

I want something fresh and new...my black teas / mates and chai's are too...too much. I remember the essence of the Oolong and cast it aside thinking, No way! But the idea remains. Persistent yet gentle. Try it again. With all you've learned in such a short time about tea, try it again...

I did.

I did not fall madly in love with it...I can't even say I liked it...but I...I appreciated it. And in that moment, I knew I'd grown beyond my narrow stash of highly oxidized and processed  black tea and Pu-erhs into someone who might actually be able to recommend an Oolong or two to others, perhaps even have a tea tasting for only that type of tea...Something to think about. Sometime, Someday.

But for now, the courtship continues, receptive, though hesitant...

I've seen much written on the look of a leaf, unbrewed and brewed. What  indicates quality, what doesn't. I've learned that an Oolong leaf unfurls and can get quite cramped in an infuser. As such, be careful not to put too much in the infuser so that you can DUE multiple infusions as the leaf unfurls, unhindered.

At this point, I'm intrigued with Oolong tea; however, it will take more to make me fall in love with this variety. Remember, I am no longer a school girl and Oolong teas are centuries older than 30+ years.

But as I unpacked a recent steeper full of the brewed tea leaves, dumped them in my hand and examined the leaves, I found they were lovely!

Unfurled, the leaf is fairly large, and greenish brown, more green than brown, and not slimy like one might suppose, just wet and almost sweet smelling. I find it is a lovely category of tea when you're looking for something, not quite usual tasting.

I'm on the search for more mainstream Oolongs and will find them by and by. As I do, I'll let you know my findings too and my suggestions will be come more specific. Until then, if you come across an Oolong, DUE tell us about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment