Sunday, February 5, 2012

Strawberry Slender Pu-Erh, by way of the bush...

Got woken up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. Tossed and turned for about an hour and then I realized, I could be sipping tea!

So I got up! (You know it's reached the passion stage when you forgo sleep for another brew!)

As mentioned in my previous post, I performed my morning ritual, adding to it a delightful little accoutrement I found at TJ Maxx yesterday for about two dollars, a mini white tea pot. I dutifully filled it up with about 1/4 cup of milk prior to going to bed last night.

My first tea, always a black, always a typical "morning tea" (a blog post for another day :) was exceptional and I must confess, I felt that "special something" in using my mini teapot of milk, watching the white liquid cascade out in a thin stream, turning my dark ember tea into a creamy caramel.

Come on, you know that "special something" I'm talking about. It's what you feel when you walk into Fresh Market and get a free sample of coffee while perusing the specialty sections of the store, or even when you use chopsticks to eat Chinese food instead of using a fork! It's that little extra something that elevates the moment to something more than what it is.

Now, for someone like me, who doesn't have all the "right" tea stuff in the high-brow sense of the word (I mean really... I check my water temperature using a skinny thermometer I USED to stick in Pork and Chicken!) So, I felt I was in high cotton this morning. Maybe that's why I felt adventurous, willing to engage myself in something more complex in flavor, more involved.

So, I selected a flavored black tea, a Pu-Erh called Strawberry Slender.

I discovered, due to the involved process of creation, certain kinds of Pu-Erh can be quite expensive. A 30 year aged quality Pu-Erh is $800 for a first steep cup! ($200 with several infusions). Well, we are about a million light years from living in that kind of cotton, so we'll just stick with my type...


Teavana's Strawberry Slender Pu-Erh

Categorized as a flavored black tea, you must, must, MUST follow the temperature and steep time to the "T" (Hmmm, I wonder if that's where the saying comes from...perhaps it's to the "Tea"!~ would make sense. But I digress...) I, once again, had to throw out the first cup because I didn't trust the timing. In the lower light settings and with the deeper colors of my English Breakfast tea still fresh in my memory, I questioned the timing and steeped it for about 30 seconds too long.

Imagine Snoopy's face, tongue sticking way out, saying "Blah!"

The second cup was perfect because, drum roll please, I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS!

This tea is not a thirst quencher or a mid-day pick me up. It's meant to be savored, both the taste and smell, oh the smell...

Taste: This tea gives a grand blend of strawberries and creamy vanilla with the blended background of traditional black tea greet your taste buds, with an individual respect for each flavor allotted in the finish. It's simply fabulous.

Smell: Touching the smell of the brewed tea, I love when it is consistent with the un-brewed, and in this case, it is, but don't take that to mean it is the same, or worse, boringly similar. The smell enhances the taste perfectly and, very much like the Earl Grey Creme, it stays in your senses till long after you've finished sipping.

Personal suggestions

  1. Do not cream...at least with milk. Perhaps a vanilla soy or something to bring out the subdued cream a bit more. An idea to toy with, so let me know if you come up with something.
  2. Also, I put Splenda in and RUINED it! Teavana sells a German Rock Sugar, it's from a root and is unrefined so it's better for you than processed sugars. The GRS's ability to sweeten without changing the taste of the tea is remarkable and worth looking into.
  3. Sip slowly and purposefully. Savor the shifting taste and variant focus of flavors by the cooling temperatures. Take the time to uncover this tea. I've been sipping on the same cup for about two hours now, whereas my morning black, I drink within 15 minutes. It's well worth the endulged time.

I've found Pu-Erh to be very different from any other tea I've had thus far (a completely wonderful and surprising tea) therefore, I read a number of reviews on the many blended Pu-Erhs available and I haven't even scratched the surface! Another thought, I may not be tasting the Pu-Erh itself, but that which has been blended with it. I shrug a little at this for a couple of reason. One, I've enjoyed the two varieties of this tea that I have and secondly, I'll look forward to trying a pure Pu-Erh when it comes to me, Lord willing and in time.



Announcement!!


I am so very excited to share, I'm soon to be interviewed by Lynchburg Eats creator, Tiffany Lyttle. I'll give notice by and by, but first, a bit about her wonderful website...

Tiffany's site, one I've long followed, highly recommend and have often referred to for eating and coffee drinking excursions~ lovin' the smart phone now~ is dedicated to giving spotlights and faithful evaluations on various eating establishments in Lynchburg and the surrounding areas of Central VA!

Ms. Lyttle also includes various contests~ who could forget the cupcake contest?~ historical recipes, and upcoming, local events~ Valentines Day is approaching~ and much, much more! Here's a link to check out her website http://www.lynchburgeats.com/local-listings/ and join in the culinary fun!


Housekeeping or Important Blog notes:

  • Though I am enjoying Teavana's teas and will be highly recommending them through-out (AND as I mentioned, I purchased a ton of tea with them), I feel the need to mention, I will be rotating my teas out for high quality, "local" finds. In fact, I'm looking forward to reviewing a number of recent tea finds especially a marvelous flavored black tea called "Vanilla Mint Chai" and a "Peach Rooibos" I discovered in our own "Health Nut Nutrition" shop in Wyndhurst. I'll be reviewing it as soon as more arrives, either this week or next!

  • Also, I'm endeavoring to change my blog over to the Tea Trader's Blogging Network by WordPress. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish that in the next few days and tweaking will continue, but I just wanted to give a heads up to the change.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! What exactly is Pu-erh? Enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many times can you re-use the loose leaves? If at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the type of tea (white to black) and the type of leaves used (whole to fannings) Usually the number of possible steeps will be stated on the loose leaf container. If the leaves are bagged and don't expand during normal steeping time for that tea, chances are it's a one steep only...even if it's a white/green/oolong tea. Rule of thumb for whole leave teas, all except black, try to resteep and look for increased subtlety in flavor and often a decrease in agressive "green" or earthy flavors. That's a neat aspect of tea!

      Most black teas have one steep only, due to high level of processing EXCEPTING the fermented Pu-erh which may have up to 7-8 steeps.

      Delete