Saturday, February 18, 2012

Learning lots...Lots to learn!

I finally got to the library yesterday!

First time since OCTOBER~ which is totally weird for us. We are normally there every week, but I just haven't had the time. But I'm finding it now. I discovered too, my youngest needs to learn how to whisper. Her only "inside" voice seems to be: loud, louder and LOUDEST!
Work in progress, right?

Anyway. Got a book, one of many I'll be delving into, called Taking Tea, The Essential Guide to Brewing, Serving, and Entertaining with Teas from Around the World. It is by no means exhaustive, it actual is a broad spectrum overview, but it satisfies the need for DUEing tea to some extent at the moment.

Couple of interesting points/ things I want to look into better so far are the following:
  1. Tea came to the West during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and during that time, people began to steep the tea in hot water. Also, for the first time, tea was served in white shades of porcelain. They found the whit enhances the color of the tea. {I think so too :) although glass is best, as it showcases the color perfectly, but I'm glass shy since I seem to break an awful lot of it}
  2. Tea strainers...There's lots of them! But EnjoyingTea.com seems to have the most inexpensive with a large variety!
  3. Be careful of religious stupidity...I don't mean what the Bible says is wrong, but what religious people say is wrong. And if you think they are one in the same, WE NEED TO TALK!...
 In the 1600's tea became the drink of the day and ale was set aside. Because it was popular, it seemed it was deemed "unhealthy, sinful, or morally pernicious..."

Isaiah 5:10
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil,
who put darkness for light and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.


 (The last line is PERFECT for tea talks too! lol!
Reading God's Word shines light in the dark...
May we KNOW the heart of the Creator
Both of the tea tree and our lives!)



     4. Dr. Samuel Johnson, famous for single handedly writing the 1st English Dictionary said of the silliness of calling tea evil, "I am a hardened and shameless Tea-drinker!"  Gotta love it!

     5. I found, for tea tasting purposes, I need to find out the reasons for an aroma cup and a drinking cup, beyond size and labels.

     6. Why do some loose teas taste better upon a second brew...is it because the leaf opens up more...I rinsed it...hmmm. Something to come across.


(If you have anything to add, explain or know a MUST have exhaustive book, Please feel free to share! LOVE hearing from you!!!)

Bye the way, my move to another blog is slow, but eventual, I just really love my setting here, BUT am getting great feedback and comments from other tea fans. Right now, I'm just picking my battles! So, feel free to stop for other's comments as well! So great!

No comments:

Post a Comment