Thursday, February 14, 2013

Oriental Beauty a "MUST" Adventure in Tea!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Tea companies and shops are working overtime to earn your business with floral and fruity blends. But I must say there's no other tea that tastes like romance to me than the Classic Oolong called Oriental Beauty.

Many tea tasters say this particular tea tastes like roasted peaches or buttered bread...I think it's as unique and unlike any other tastes around. I never really liked comparing tea taste to foods...I think it ruins the occasion to celebrate the tea's own flavor!

I love this tea! It is "me" in more than just taste. The very chemical make up on the tea suits these last 8-9 months to a "T"! Let me explain!

In order to harness the unusual flavor of the latest season of this fascinating oolong (normal oolongs are harvested in April and May, whereas this one is harvested in June) plantations allow the leafhoppers to munch on tea leaves, puncturing them. The bush releases chemical compounds which makes up the plants defenses. This natural process is allowed for one week and then the leaves are carefully harvested for processing with the added bonus of an amazing taste created naturally!

My Formosa fancy Oolong Ming Xiang came from a great shop for purchasing quality teas in Raleigh, NC. It's called Tin Roof Teas. I got it about a year ago and rediscovered the ounce or so left in one of my tea jars. It wasn't even air tight and yet it still tastes great because a wondrous quality of this grand tea is that it actually IMPROVES with time (aging yes...fermentation, no). I can attest to that! I had several steeping off my 2 tsp / 8oz cup. Even my husband, an unconverted coffee lover, came into the kitchen and said, "Wow! That smells great!"

It's color is deep amber with a flavor that's deep and rich, yet far different from my black teas. This would be ruined with sugar or cream. The taste is at once delicate and bold. A true yin/yang thing going on! It's robust and complex without being overbearing and difficult! If this tea were a friend, it'd be a great friend! And my favorite aspect? It has all the benefits of an Oolong with NONE of the Green/mushroom tastes of earlier harvested oolongs!

So, I highly recommend this tea! And unlike a lot of seasonal teas, this tea is great for anytime of the year, but mostly as an afternoon delight! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment